Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fairy Nice to Meet You





Number one on my niece's wish list to Santa this year, was a 'squishable' fairy doll that she could sleep with. Let me just say that as a child that would tear out brand name toy ads from the Sears catalogue to adhere to my own wish list (I couldn't risk any confusion..), I was impressed with her lack of materialism.

My sister couldn't find a soft fairy doll anywhere and efforts to turn up a plain rag doll to turn into a fairy were also futile. That's when I said 'geez, I could make a fairy doll.' How hard can it be? I made a rag doll with my Grandma Lilly once...

Three days later and much cursing.. (I think in hindsight I merely watched Grandma Lilly make the doll)...this is the result. I'm quite pleased with it. Ok there were some unforseen details. The cute round face I carefully embroidered underwent some cosmetic changed when the head was sewn together. The cute pouty lips ended up on her throat, and the little chin I embroidered became a necklace. The hands are a tad club-like, and as my sister noted, she has some slight edema in her left foot. For a first effort fairy doll however, I'm damn proud.

My sister designed the lovely dress. I helped by sewing closed the arm holes, which were later torn out. We also learned that while sewing elastic you have to pull the elastic taut if you want it to maintain elasticity after you attach the skirt. I think I heard Grandma Lilly laugh at us and shake her head upon this discovery.

The wings are on order from Ebay and then she will be complete. If my niece does not worship this doll and sleep with it everynight, my sister has promised to box it up and pull it out at her 30th birthday to make her feel appropriately guilty.

P.S. The cookies are done the cookies are DONE! phew....

2 comments:

Mandy Sue B. said...

She's lovely... You're too critical of her!

Pajarrito lindo said...

Update: My niece lurves her fairy doll (at least this week). Turns out all of her fairy power is contained in her blue hair (duh why didn't I think of that) and the little handmade touches are cool too 'because you can really tell the elves made it'. Yeah!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online