Friday, January 23, 2009

Watch me use serendipitous






During a very serendipitous afternoon a few weeks ago, we came into a lovely old rocking chair.

We had gone to fabric world in search of 1960s style buttons to sew onto an old coat I picked up at goodwill back in the summer. We came up empty handed and I still don't really get how they stay in business, when they haven't rotated their inventory since 1972? Anyhoo we decided to go into St. Johns for lunch. On the way there, we walked past an vintage furniture shop and decided to pop in. We had been thinking about getting a rocking chair, but were unsure where we would fit it in our tiny house.

There were a few small rockers in the shop, but they were expensive and not quite appealing enough to shift furniture around for. Then we came upon our landlady whom we hadn't seen in a while. She was on bike and picking up a great old piano bench. We mentioned we were there looking at the rockers when she said, 'Oh you need a rocking chair? I have one on my porch you can have. Why don't you swing by and drop my stuff off and pick up the rocker?'

Never ones to pass on free, and knowing that she has excellent taste, we stopped by and voila there was this perfect sized old style wooden rocker with a padded seat. I liked the original fabric fine, but it had a small stain and I can't really resist an opportunity to buy new upholstery fabric. I also wanted to add some cushioning to the seat to make it really plush. I ended up getting the fabric with the little birds at bolt. I wasn't sure about it when I got it home but now I lurve it and it goes great with these. I meant to photograph the re-upholstering process since we re-did the webbing and built up the layers of cotton, but somehow between being a bossy flossy control freak (no! staple here!), I forgot the camera.. Thanks to my husband for his infinite patience. Oh and I did find some great big black buttons at the same shop.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online